The Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Ebrahim Patel, has welcomed the announcement by Ford South Africa that it will be creating 1 200 jobs at its Silverton Plant in Pretoria, Gauteng. The announcement is as a result of a R3bn investment commitment by the company earlier to expand capacity at the Silverton Plant. The expansion means greater volumes of production and the addition of a new model to the range with the production of the Ranger Raptor model starting this year.
In order to meet the growing export demand, Ford SA will be adding a 3rd shift, meaning they will be in operation 24 hours a day.
“The Automotive Production and Development Programme and the recently announced Automotive Masterplan has a clear programme of doubling employment in the sector. This announcement by Ford SA is indication that these ambitions are in progress.,” says Minister Patel.
Minister Patel noted that where industrial policy is correctly implemented in close collaboration with key stakeholders it bears tangible results. He adds that the jobs are going to have a positive impact on the lives of thousands of people.
Sidwell Medupe-Departmental Spokesperson
Tel: (012) 394 1650
Mobile: 079 492 1774
Issued by: The Department of Trade and Industry
Follow us on Twitter: @the_dti
- 2019 SA INVESTMENT CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Remarks By President Cyril Ramaphosa At The SMME Programme Of The Second South Africa Investment Conference
- MINISTER OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY EBRAHIM PATEL – Investment Conference 2019 opening remarks.
- OPENING ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT CYRIL RAMAPHOSA AT THE SECOND SOUTH AFRICA INVESTMENT CONFERENCE
- Japan – South Africa Business Council launches at second SA Investment Conference (SAIC 2019)